vegan butternut squash soup + recipe

Thursday, November 07, 2013





I suppose it's no secret lately that I love squash. I made butternut squash mac and cheese and since then, I've been hooked. It has such a full, distinct flavor yet is very versatile. I usually eat squash with butter and brown sugar, so it's been fun trying out more savory recipes. Acorn squash has been a long time favorite of mine and zucchini too, of course. There's spaghetti squash in the fridge right now and I'm already trying to think what sort of dish I can make for dinner next week. This soup is soo yummy and filling, and perfect for when we needed to warm up one of these recent chilly afternoons. I'd love to try it with apples and gorgonzola next!


vegan butternut squash soup

2 T coconut oil
1 diced carrot
1 diced stalk celery
1 chopped small onion
1 medium squash, cubed
1 t chopped thyme
salt and pepper
about 6 cups vegetable broth

1. Heat oil in soup pot and add carrot, celery, and onion. 2. Cook for about 4 minutes, then add thyme and squash. 3. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add broth and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Squash should be easily mashed. 4. Puree with an immersion blender (or if you're poor like me, you can blend in batches in a blender). I garnished mine with a little bit of thyme and nutmeg!

No comments:

Post a Comment