butternut squash mac & cheese + recipe

Thursday, October 17, 2013









Now that it's getting darker earlier, I have to take pictures under the harsh yellow glow of our one light in our tiny kitchen. Which is fine, I don't see myself making dinner at 4 or so. I just don't have the greatest camera for low light conditions but I'll do what I can. Anyway, with fall here I thought it was suitable to make something with squash in it since the prices are so cheap right now, but I don't necessarily like eating it by itself unless it has brown sugar on it. I've had butternut squash in ravioli before, so I was hoping this would be just as delicious. It was. And then some. And it's healthier than traditional mac & cheese, plus more flavorful.


butternut squash mac & cheese

3 c pasta shells
1 small butternut squash, cubed, uncooked
2 T coconut oil
1 t pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 c vegetable stock
1 1/2 c milk
2 T butter (i used smart balance)
1/4 c plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 c parmesan
1 c roughly chopped spinach
breadcrumbs
herbs


Prepare pasta shells and set aside.

1. Preheat oven to 400. Toss squash with coconut oil, nutmeg, pepper, and salt. Add stock and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring until the squash is soft. 2. Reduce heat to low and mash squash, smooth until creamy. 3. Add milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese. The first time I used parmesan, but you can use white cheddar or any cheese really. 4. Add pasta shells and spinach to mixture until coated, and place in 9x9 baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and herbs (and maybe a little more cheese) and bake for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment