painted terra cotta pot + diy

Wednesday, April 02, 2014




I love succulents. I love succulents more than regular plants because if I forget to water them for a few days, you wouldn't even know. I have a plant that I keep on the top of my fridge that's gorgeous, with vines trailing down the front and reaching longingly towards the window. If it doesnt get water, it shows, which reminds me of how bad of a plant-mom I am, which makes me a bad person, and who needs all that negativity anyway. Succulents are much better, happier plants. Needless to say I am still growing chamomile and lavender on my windowsill and have plans for all kind of porch veggies this summer.
I grabbed one of these pots from work, as well as the panda plant. But I'm not a huge fan of that peachy-orange color so I wanted to give it a mini-makeover. I searched to see if there was anything special I needed to do to prep it... or mod podge it.. or something but, nope. Just plain ol' acrylic paints will do.

All you will need is a couple of different sized paintbrushes, acrylic paint, and your pot. If you would like, you can finish with a coat of clear acrylic spray paint. You can spray the inside of your pot with it also to help protect the pot from moisture.






1. I used a dry brush and lightly brushed white paint over my entire pot, leaving some brush strokes light enough to see the terra cotta underneath. The white was just... regular and turned out matte. For the colors I used semi-gloss. If you want, wet your brush and apply paint heavily and in layers, letting each layer dry before adding the new one. You could even paint one layer of another color (ooh.. like kobalt blue) and then dry brush white over the top of it.
2. I chose a southwestern design. As you can see... I'm no artist, and no perfectionist at that. I was uh... keeping with the messy look of it all. The hardest part is keeping your design symmetrical.



The possibilities really are endless, and the whole painting process took maybe 30 minutes. I can easily seeing it done in 10 if there wasn't a specific design involved. I'm already dreaming of the next pots I could paint.. like metallic gold on gray, or red and white stripes. I just might have to get a large one to put on the porch :)



No comments:

Post a Comment