sweet and spicy kale chips + recipe

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I know. You're probably over kale chips by now. You've had them spicy, sweet, plain, lemony, and salty. Well... I haven't. I've seen them in the store but they never seemed appealing because it made me think of those 'veggie chips' which is really just... batter that's baked/fried into the shape of vegetables. No thanks. I tried to make kale chips a couple of years ago, but tossed them in far too much lemon and oil, which resulted in a wilted and chewy... chip. The other day I had a hankering for something sweet and salty and since we've been (kind of) detoxing, I also had an overabundance of kale in the fridge that I had been using for salads. These turned out light and crispy with notes of sweet brown sugar and a spicy kick. I'm using curly kale but any variety will work!






sweet and spicy kale chips

one bunch of kale
olive oil
1 1/2 T brown sugar
salt to taste
1/2 t. lemon juice
cumin
smoked paprika
cayenne flakes/powder

1. Preheat oven to 300. 2. Separate kale leaves from ribs. 2. Toss in a bowl with lemon juice, salt, and brown sugar. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. You want the leaves to be lightly coated, but not drenched. Add more if necessary. 4. Toss with spices. The amount is up to you, did about 1/4 a teaspoon of cumin, a shake of smoked paprika, and a scant teaspoon of cayenne powder. You can use flakes if you want but, I prefer powdered here. 5. Arrange on baking sheet and bake for 12-16 minutes. They can burn easily so keep an eye on them. You can lightly dust with a little more smoked paprika here if you'd like. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment