vegan matcha coconut bars with dark chocolate drizzle + recipe

Wednesday, March 12, 2014




These. Are. Delicious.

I've had a jar of matcha powder sitting in my cupboard for... oh, maybe 6 months. Other than putting it in smoothies (and maybe milkshakes), I haven't had much use for it. Rick and I went to the Sacramento flea market over the summer, and there is a woman there who has a booth set up with jars and jars of herbs and spices. I don't remember if she grows most of them herself, but she has strange spices and her tea blends are amazing. Matcha is a powerful antioxidant, as well as a weight loss supplement. It also detoxifies, which is helpful while Rick and I are on our 'diet'. He has quit smoking so we are on a whole-foods, liver and kidney healthy, lots of fruit and veggies diet. It's been challenging, to say the least. I've already comprised a long list of healthy desserts to help curb my sweet tooth cravings when I have them. There's also a dark chocolate stash somewhere. It's comforting, you know. To know it's there if I need it. Anyway.

The bars. They're chewy. Sweet and just a little salty. Rick says they're healthy versions of almond joys but pft, please. These are way more decadent. And they take maybe 20 minutes to make!


raw vegan matcha coconut bars with dark chocolate drizzle

3/4 c. rolled oats OR almond flour
3 t. matcha powder (iherb.com)
1 T. flax seed meal
1/4 t. salt
14 oz. shredded coconut
3 T. coconut oil, divided
5 T. agave (or honey for non vegan), divided
dark chocolate


1. You can either use a loaf or tart pan, or you can use an 8x8 for thinner bars. I've done it both ways but prefer the 8x8 pan. Line pan of your choice with plastic wrap.
2. In a food processor, pulse oats into a fine meal. Transfer oats (or almond flour) to bowl and stir in matcha powder, flaxseed meal, and salt. Add 1 tablespoon of soft coconut oil and stir until combined. Add 3 tablespoons of honey and stir.
3. Transfer to prepared pan and stick in freezer to harden.
4. In a food processor, pulse coconut into small flakes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of agave. Spread over frozen oat mixture and place back in freezer.
5. Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler. I melted about 1/2 a cup's worth. It helps to add a tiny amount of coconut oil so it drizzles a little bit easier. You can also melt coconut oil, then add honey and cocoa to taste if you'd like to keep this entirely raw. Drizzle (or completely cover like I did) over coconut mixture and place back in freezer.

I take mine out and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting into bars. You can also cut them into bars first, and then keep them in the fridge, they will just be a little soft.



No comments:

Post a Comment