vegan coconut chocolate no bakes + moving (!)

Tuesday, December 03, 2013




Pardon the random forthcoming posts, but we had to move suddenly (I never would have guessed it'd be so suddenly) and I've been so stressed and tired and all the other things that come with packing and moving. I almost pulled my hair out when it came to searching for a new place, with barely any money to give for applications. I have come to realize that Rick and I are not the best budgeters, so after this storm of cardboard boxes and emptying our pockets dies down, I must figure out a way to create some type of budget. I barely buy things for myself anymore, I've come to spend more money on baking and cooking food. Which is perfectly fine with me, but my love of all things coffee has me spending almost $15 a week. That's crazy to think about. Also, disgusting. Who really knows whats in those starbucks jars I get while I stop to get gas. I think I need to invest in a large cold to-go cup and a giant french press. I'm sure they make those. Anyway, between moving out and our apartment 'getting ready' we're staying with family. Our new place has lots of light, which is a huge change from our previous 2-windowed apartment. I can just feel the drafts already. And there's a walk in closet and (wait for it)... a fireplace! Granted, it's gas, and probably gives off no heat whatsoever, but it'll still be perfect for marshmallow roasting. I have 3 days off after surviving black friday retail hell, so I finally have a chance to breathe. Unfortunately I'm nursing a sore throat and achy head, but I get to look out at the snow swirling and sip hot chocolate. Not too shabby. In the spirit of the peppermint bark I'm going to make later, here's another recipe for a quick, chocolatey treat.



I freaking love no bakes. The ones that I used to make would consist of butter, sugar, peanut butter, oats, and not much else. They had so much sugar in them they'd make my teeth hurt. But I love how they melt in your mouth and the possible variations, and I think I thought putting oats in them somehow made them good for me. These are 1000x better than the sugar-packed ones of the past, and they have Ricks three favorite things in them (peanut butter, coconut, chocolate) soo it was a win-win for both of us. The coconut oil helps them solidify better than butter, and the cinnamon adds a nice spice.



vegan coconut chocolate no bakes

1 1/2 cups carob chips (or dark choc for non vegans)
2/3 cup peanut butter (i used chunky)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey
2 T cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 cup oats

1. Turn oven to 400 and toast coconut until lightly brown. Set aside to cool. 2. In a saucepan, melt peanut butter, carob chips, and coconut oil and combine well. 3. Turn heat to low and add honey and cinnamon. 4. Remove from heat and add oats and coconut. 5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and drop heaving tablespoons of mixture onto sheet. I place mine in the freezer for 20 minutes to help them set, then put in fridge to keep.

1 comment: