chocolate donut holes + recipe

Monday, November 11, 2013






Every once in awhile I get some otherworldly, disgusting craving for something full of chocolate and sugar. I like ice cream a lot (a lot) and I keep a bag of expensive chocolate bars in my drawer for emergencies; for some reason the fact that they were almost $5 a bar keeps me from eating the whole thing in one sitting. I just like to know it's there when I need it. And I'm not a huge chocolate lover, I usually turn my nose up at milk chocolate and am picky when it comes to truffles, but some chocolate pastries and desserts I can't say no to. Thus came fried balls of chocolate cake. Call them donut holes if you want. Cake, donuts, whatever you want to label them as - they're delicious. I may or may not have had to bring them to work and pawn off on my fellow employees to keep myself from eating all of them. I had slaved over them all morning, gleefully thinking how surprised and delighted Rick would be when he got home to find me sweating in the kitchen, flour in my hair, chocolate on my arms, with a giant plate of donut holes waiting for him. It was a lot less climactic, in reality he gingerly picked one up and said "What...is this?". I'm fairly certain those are the three worst words you could ever say when your lady makes you food (or your gentleman). Come to find out... the man hates frosting. I think my heart sank and I stared at him open-mouthed trying to process what he had just said. No cinnamon rolls? No donuts. No cake. No scones. Nope, not even frosted sugar cookies. If it has powdered sugar in it, he won't eat it. Pfft how boring, right. I'm still determined to sneak it in something so irresistible he'll overlook his hatred for ooey-gooey sugary things. I recommend eating these straight from the wire rack while still warm.


glazed chocolate donut holes


1 c cocoa powder
2 1/2 c flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c sugar
1/2 t. baking soda
3/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
veggie oil (i used coconut oil)

for the glaze:

3 c powdered sugar (this might be overkill but uh i actually really like frosting sooo..)
couple drops of vanilla
5 T milk


1. Sift cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. 2. In a different bowl mix sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Add to flour mixture and mix until it becomes dough. 3. Roll dough into golf ball sized balls and place on a plate. 4. Heat oil about 1/2" deep in a pan over medium heat. Once it becomes hot enough, drop a couple of balls into the pan (i used a cast iron skillet). I used a wooden spoon and turned them around and over until cooked through. It didnt take quite a minute for them to be finished. Keep in mind the dough will expand slightly so dont crowd the pan. 5. Drain on a paper towel. For the glaze, just whisk all ingredients together. Drop your balls in glaze and let cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment