lentil tacos + recipe

Sunday, January 05, 2014

I hope I'm not the only one that scrolls through Pinterest trying to figure out what to do with lentils other than make... soup. Or stew. Or crockpot mush. After awhile all the green soups end up looking the same and soon my lentils dont look all that appetizing. Neither does this 'taco meat,' but it sure is yummy. I'll be fair and admit that I've made shepherds pie with lentils before but other than that, I haven't been very adventurous. The lentil taco 'meat' is mushier than regular beef of course but gives in flavor what other substitutes lack, tofu for example.









lentil taco meat


2 c lentils
5 c water
1/2 c white onion, chopped finely
3 T tomato paste
olive oil
salt
pepper
cumin
cayenne pepper (optional)
hot sauce (optional)



1. Begin by rinsing the lentils and then bringing them to a boil, along with the chopped onion. I used mostly green but added a handful of red 'cause they're pretty. 2. Once they're boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until soft. 3. Drain and set aside half of the lentils. Take the other half and process in a food processor along with the tomato paste and about a tablespoon of oil. 4. Once pureed, add to a heated & oiled skillet along with the whole lentils. 5. Season with salt, pepper, & cumin to taste. I also added a sprinkle of cayenne and a couple of shakes of hot sauce :)

No comments:

Post a Comment