vegan granola protein balls + recipe

Saturday, October 05, 2013



Rick calls these 'granola bars part two'. So... I got it into my head that granola bars are a piece of cake and I was going to make the best ones ever. So I mixed my ingredients. They were vegan, so I had bananas, coconut, oatmeal, and a bunch of other stuff mashed up and put in a pan. It smelled delicious. It looked delicious. And when I pulled the pan out of the oven, the coconut was toasted perfectly and the chocolate was slightly gooey. Perfect. Or so I thought, and then I took a bite... and stopped mid-chew. I had forgotten the almond milk, and I'm not sure if two tablespoons would have really made all that much of a difference, I don't know. Maybe its one of those magic ingredients that just doesnt work without it. I fed it to Rick who took one bite and laughed and said "what is this?!" Needless to say, they ended up in the trash.

So I decided to try again, with peanut butter this time. Because peanut butter improves mostly everything. And for some reason they taste better when they're rolled into balls. Rick doesnt believe I threw the granola bars away and thinks I just mixed it up with some peanut butter, but no, I swear these are 10000000x better.



vegan granola protein balls

2 c old fashioned oats
2 c toasted coconut
1 c peanut butter
1/2 c ground flaxseed
2 T wheat germ
3 T chia seeds
1 T vanilla
1/2 c honey
1/2 c carob chips


You can substitute protein powder for the wheat germ, I haven't experimented with it but I'm sure it'd be fine. All you do is mix all of the ingredients together and form into bite sized balls! I refrigerated mine for 30 minutes before I formed them, it made it a little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment