pumpkin scones with spice drizzle + recipe

Tuesday, October 01, 2013





I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I don't really like scones. They're usually dry... or chewy. Or flavorless. And I know they're supposed to be somewhat dry, but, really? I don't like my pastries to scrape the roof of my mouth. Starbucks has a pumpkin scone though, that is freaking delicious and I order it whenever I go in. It's full of spices and it's not too dry. The frosting-to-scone ratio is a little off to me, and for almost $3 a scone I said forget it, I'm making my own. So I did. And I'm not going to lie, they're 10000x time better than any crummy scone I've had. They are dense without being dry, full of flavor, and I was able to put as much frosting on them as I wanted.


pumpkin scones with glaze & spice drizzle

1/2 c sugar
2 c flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cloves
1/4 t ground ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
6 T butter (cold)
1/2 c pumpkin
3 T cream or half and half
1 egg


2 c powdered sugar
4 T milk
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
pinch ginger
pinch nutmeg


1. Preheat oven to 425. 2. Combine sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. 3. With a pastry knife, cut in butter until crumbly. 4 In a separate bowl, mix pumpkin, egg, and cream. Add to dry mixture and mix until combined. 5. Shape dough into small triangles.. you can do 6 large ones or 12 small ones (I made small ones). 6. Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes (15 for the large scones) until golden brown. Place on cooling rack and let cool.
7. Combine powdered sugar and milk in a bowl, whisked until smooth. Top your scones but leave about 1/4 a cup for the spice drizzle. With the 1/4 cup left in the bowl, add your spices and drizzle on top of sugar glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment